Feb 6, 2010

OFFICIAL: John Terry Dropped As England Captain; Rio Ferdinand To Take Over

 

John Terry has been stripped of the England captaincy after a showdown meeting with Fabio Capello.

The Italian met Terry at Wembley on Friday and told the defender his role as captain of the Three Lions was over, following relevations of an alleged affair with an ex-girlfriend of former-Chelsea team-mate Wayne Bridge.

"After much thought, I have made the decision that it will be best for me to take the captaincy away from John Terry," Capello said via a statement on the FA's website.

"As a captain with the team, John Terry has displayed extremely positive behaviour. However, I have to take into account other considerations and what is best for all of the England squad.

"What is best for all of the England team has inspired my choice.

"John Terry was notified first."

Capello hinted that vice-captain Rio Ferdinand will step into the role, following a brief 12-minute meeting with Chelsea defender Terry.

“When I chose John Terry as captain, I also selected a vice-captain and also named a third choice," he added. "There is no reason to change this decision.

“I would like to take this opportunity to thank The FA, particularly Lord David Triesman and Ian Watmore for allowing me to make this decision in my own time and in the best interest of the team.”

Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti had previously said Terry's position as captain of the Blues would not be affected.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails